At Muscle Wellness, we believe in healthy living and a strong body before weight loss – we’re after strong, lean physiques and happy, healthy athletes. But sometimes weight loss is part of the plan to get on the road to a healthier lifestyle and optimal fitness regime. And as part of an overall fitness plan, it can be an essential step to getting the body you want and deserve.
Feeling like you need to shift some weight this year and thinking of making weight loss one of your New Year’s resolutions? Remember that we are most likely to achieve our resolutions when they are realistic, detailed, and deadline-orientated. When it comes to weight loss, here are five resolutions that we believe are worth making as the new year approaches.
Weight loss resolutions to get behind in 2018
1. I will focus on the bigger picture
If you’re looking for motivation to stick to your weight loss goals, remember that this decision is about more than just weight – it’s about a healthy lifestyle, about feeling (and looking) better than ever before, managing your stress, and enjoying life more fully. When you look at your weight loss from a holistic experience, it takes on so much more meaning and purpose.
2. I will know and control my trigger foods
We all have them – that favourite late night snack, that go-to sweet treat for when we’re feeling stressed or tired or low. These are also the ones that tend to make us put on weight. Know your trigger foods and get to grips with when they come into your space (and your mouth). Often, it doesn’t work to ban your favourite treats all together – this can create even more stress. Think about limiting these foods, removing them from your home pantry, finding a healthy (but still delicious) substitute, or having a cheat day that means you won’t be deprived but you’ll have more control over what you eat and when.
3. I will eat right
Healthy eating (what you eat, how much, and how often) is instrumental when it comes to weight loss. Plan ahead to avoid finding yourself hungry and eating the quick (and most often, unhealthy) option. And it works best when combined with a training programme that targets excess body weight and focuses on muscle development and strength training, as well as the right supplement mix for a healthy lifestyle.
4. I will pick the right supplements
When it comes to weight loss, supplements are not a substitute for real food. But, when combined with proper training, they can be a helping hand in getting to the body you want. Our Fit & Firm Series, for example, is about slimming down the right way, leaving you looking and feeling better than ever.
5. I will get an accountability buddy
It always helps to have someone on your side when it comes to achieving your resolutions. Let a close friend into your goal to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, and then let them help you stay accountable to your goal. All the better if they do it along with you. It’s much easier to get into the gym first thing in the morning or hit that monthly weight loss target if you know your buddy is there going through it all with you.
Looking for support on your fitness journey? Follow our Facebook page and check out our website. Whether you want to start a supplement programme to support your fitness journey or learn more about the supplements and super foods that can help you reach your workout goals, we can help you learn and achieve more.
Want to make a healthy body part of your reality? We can help!
At Muscle Wellness, we believe in healthy eating to achieve a lean and strong physique. And we know that, from supplements to organic products, you care enough about what you put into your body to do the same. That’s why we’re invested in researching and developing only the best products, and in educating ourselves and our clients about the best super foods and healthiest options out there.
Today, we’re talking about chia seeds – like the ones used in our delicious acai chia cup. Native to South America, these tiny black seeds come from the plant Salvia Hispanica and pack a healthy punch. They are an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids (the good ones), fibre, iron, and calcium. Plus they’re rich in antioxidants.
Ten interesting things about chia seeds
1. They can be eaten cooked or raw but they should be soaked or added to another food before eating to help prevent potential choking issues.
2. Chia seeds provide the body with phosphorus, manganese, and small amounts of potassium and copper.
3. Rich in antioxidants, eating these seeds could help you fight off wrinkles (they’re good for the skin) but also help to protect your cells from the effects of free radicals.
4. No need to overdo the salmon to get your Omega 3s in… 2 tablespoons of chia seeds has the same amount as 100 grams of salmon.
5. Don’t eat dairy? Because they contain calcium (higher than most dairy products by gram), phosphorus, magnesium, and protein, chia seeds are good for bone health.
6. They are considered a whole grain food and are usually grown organically, are non-GMO, and naturally free of gluten, making them kind to your gut.
7. Speaking of being good to your gut, chia seeds are 40% fibre, by weight. Put another way, they are low-carb and high fibre, making them an excellent choice for keeping your system regular and the friendly bacteria in your gut balanced.
8. Looking for a protein boost? Chia seeds are 14% protein, making them one of the highest protein plants on the planet. Protein has many health benefits, including an association with weight loss, reducing appetite and the need for unnecessary snacking.
9. Are you a vegan? Mix chia seeds with water to replace egg in vegan baking. Try mixing 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water, then leaving for a few minutes. A gel will form that can be used as an egg substitute.
10. Due to their bland taste and gel-like consistency when soaked, chia seeds can be used in various recipes from puddings to soups as a thickener or breadcrumb substitute.
Looking for more super foods like chia seeds or other healthy, organic supplements to help you achieve your fitness goals? Take a look at our Organic Series – it includes organically sourced berries, seeds, powders, and extracts – all excellent sources of protein and anti-oxidants.
Want more healthy eating and living tips? Follow our Facebook page and read about our different supplement ranges on our website. Whether you want to support your workout programme or focus on a specific training regime, our superior quality products can help you get the results you looking for.
Want organic supplements to support your fitness goals?
The festive season is here and that means parties, celebrations and eating out much more than during the year. It also makes it difficult to stick to your fitness and weight loss plan, especially if everyone around you is letting it all hang out till January.
Want to get the weight off (and keep it off) this festive season? Remember, good fitness is about strength and good health, supported by a balanced diet (and proper supplementation) rather than just pure weight loss. With that in mind, we’ve put together some practical tips for achieving your weight loss goals while staying sane.
Want a healthier workout, or healthier lifestyle? We can help you!
Tips for losing weight this festive season
1. Don’t stop your gym routine
With school holidays, long weekend away, and late night parties, it can be more difficult to get stick to your daily gym sessions during this time but this is when it’s most important to stay committed. If you can’t stick to the same routine as normal, adjust and fit in your workouts when you can, as often as you can. This will help you to combat the effects of dining out and late nights, and your waistline will thank you for it come January.
2. Eat right
Skipping breakfast or lunch (or even starving yourself during the day) so that you can go all out at a big dinner or cocktail party will not help your weight loss plans. Quite the opposite in fact. Event food tends to be richer than and not as healthy as what you would normally make at home and, if you’re hungry, you’ll probably end up eating much more than you normally would. And you won’t feel good after all. For healthy weight management, eat regular light and simple meals throughout the day, snack sensibly, and don’t arrive at your event hungry and ready to eat anything in sight.
3. Get enough sleep
It might surprise you to know that sleep deprivation is linked to weight gain. If you’re burning the candle at both ends between shopping, caring for your family, entertaining, and partying, you will do more damage than just dark under eye circles. Research shows that individuals who sleep less than five hours a night have lower levels of leptin, the hormone that controls how full you feel. So, if you’re tired, you’re more likely to feel hungry and indulge in late night snacks. Get some shut eye and take care of yourself.
Looking for supplements to help you achieve a lean, firmer body? Try our Fit & Firm Series. Designed for anyone looking to boost their workout and slim down the right way (fit and firm is where it’s at), this series will leave you looking and feeling better all round.
Want more fitness tips? Have a look at our Facebook page and read about our different supplement ranges on our website. Whether you want to support your workout programme or focus on a specific training regime, our superior quality products can help you get the results you looking for.
- 1/2 cup Banana, frozen
- 1/2 cup Strawberries, frozen
- 1 cup Almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 scoop MW Superior Whey GF (Wildberry Flavour)
- 1 tsp Pudding mix, Sugar Free
- 1 tbsp Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup Vanilla/strawberry yogurt
1. Place all ingredients in a magic bullet or blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Then, sprinkle on 1 additional tablespoon of graham cracker crumbs. (To make graham cracker crumbs, place graham crackers in a magic bullet or food processor and mix until finely ground).
You love to work out but life is busy or you might be going through a stressful patch at work and you’re a little more tired than usual. Besides ruling out any medical reasons for a lack of energy, there are a few things you can do to give yourself that much-need pre-workout energy boost (and get the most of our your workout).
Drive and determination can go a long way to making sure you feel energised and ready for a great workout but there are a number of practical steps you can take to make sure you’re giving yourself the best chance to get the most out of your precious gym time.
Talk to us about your supplement needs – we’ve got the right products for you.
Energy boosting tips for a great workout
1. Eat right
A healthy, balanced diet is an essential part of any successful fitness plan and a key factor when it comes to keeping your energy levels up. Organic superfoods, healthy snacks, and the right mix of supplements will boost your energy and awareness levels as well as reduce tiredness and stress. Sugars and refined carbs will do the opposite. Eat regularly, eat well, and use the right supplements (think energy boosters!) to give your body what it needs to perform at its best.
2. Sleep well
When it comes to a healthy lifestyle and energetic vibes, sleep is a must. Make sure you get to bed on time for a good night’s sleep – most people need a solid eight hours’ shut eye before they’re able to pump at their peak.
3. Keep hydrated
Dehydration will slow you down, making you feel tired and lethargic. Most of us don’t drink enough water during the day and often mistake thirst for hunger. Energy drinks and protein shakes can offer a welcome energy boost as well – just be sure to pick the right ones for your workout needs.
4. Take a vitamin-B rich multivitamin
Vitamin B is essential for transferring energy from food to your body. Boost your vitamin and mineral intake with a high quality, Vitamin B rich multivit to lessen fatigue and stress, and help you perform better, inside and outside the gym.
‘Did it’ rewards, feel-good music, the promise to meet your gym buddy on the circuit… Mental motivations can go a long way to boosting your energy levels and putting you in the right frame of mind for a great workout. Find out what works for you and work that.
Want more fitness tips? Have a look at our Facebook page and website. We believe in approaching fitness from a holistic perspective, with a focus on training, eating, and supplementing right. The aim? To help our clients boost their energy levels, perform at their best, and achieve their fitness goals. Whether you want to support your workout programme or focus on a specific training regime, our superior supplement ranges can help you get the results you want.
1 scoops MW Superior Whey (vanilla)
1 cup slivered almonds
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 & 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup fresh organic blueberries
1/4 cup of coconut-almond milk (or plain coconut or plain almond milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Line 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper, lightly grease with coconut oil.
3. Add all BASE ingredients in to food processor until completely combined and wet, this may take several minutes
4. Line 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper, lightly grease with coconut oil.
5. Pour into prepared pan and smooth out with off set spatula until evenly spread.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
7. Combine TOPPING ingredients in medium bowl and stir to combine.
8. Removing pan from oven. Spoon the mixture onto the base and leave to cool in the refrigerator.
1⁄4 cup MW Chia Seeds
3⁄4 cup almond milk
2 tsp MW Acai Powder
1⁄2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
1⁄2 cup Frozen raspberries
1⁄2 Frozen banana
- 1⁄2 Cup almond milk
1⁄2 Frozen bananas
- 2-3 strawberries
1. Mix all the ingredients in layer 1 in a bowl until well combined.
2. Place in the fridge and let sit for 2-4 hours until you have a thick texture. If your mixture is too thick, add some more almond milk. If it is too thin for your taste, add a few more chia seeds.
3. Spoon your chia layer into the bottoms of a cup or jar.
4. Next, in a blender, blend all ingredients in layer 2. Carefully pour into your cup on top of the chia pudding.
5. Finally, blend layer 3 in a blender, and pour on top of layer 2.
6. Garnish with some fresh fruits, and enjoy!
1 Cup Raw Cashews soaked in water overnight or in very hot water for at least 10 minutes and rinsed
2/3 Cup Water
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbs Maple Syrup
1/2 Cup Almond Milk unsweetened
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar ground
2 + 1/2 Tbs MW Cacao Powder
1 + 1/2 tsp Espresso Powder or Strong Espresso optional
Pinch of Sea Salt
1/8 Cup MW Cacao Nibs
Leaves Mint for Garnish Optional
1. Place cashews, water, extract, maple syrup, almond milk, sugar, cocoa, arrowroot, espresso and sea salt into a high-speed blender like this one. Blend for 1 minute on med-high speed. Scrape down the inside of the pitcher and blend for 30 more seconds on med-high speed.
2. Pour into a container, cover and chill in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight. This helps develop flavour.
3. Now is a good time to put your ice cream maker freezer bowl into the freezer.
1.When you are ready to churn the ice cream, place the container (preferably a loaf pan) you’ll be storing the ice cream in in the freezer so it’s nice and chilled when you transfer the ice cream from the machine. Line the container with parchment paper and clip the sides as to hold them in place (optional).
2. Churn the ice cream according to the manufacture’s instructions (more or less 30 min on low).
3. Add the cocoa nibs to the ice cream during the last few minutes of the churn. The goal is to evenly distribute the nibs throughout the ice cream.
4. Transfer the ice cream to the storage container, place parchment or plastic wrap right on the surface of the ice cream (this will prevent ice crystals from forming) and cover tightly. Freeze for at least an hour to an hour and a half in the covered container.
5. When you’re ready to serve, remove from the freezer and let set at room temperature for at least 5 minutes. This will allow it to become a bit softer and ready for scooping.
6. Enjoy within a week.